Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Little and Friday Pear Tarts


If you have been reading my posts you will now know I love Kim Evans book and cafe Little and Friday. In my last post I posted her recipe for Poaching Pears, I used the poached pears in her delicous Pear Tarts recipe.

I love how these turned out golden and crispy on top. I did how ever over fill them to much, because I wanted to use up all the fragipane filling as it made quite a bit.


The pastry is store bought, I know i know shocking right, but this recipe has a few elements to it so I cheated on that part. You can make homemade sweet pasrty by using the the same recipe I used to make these Lemon Tarts.

I only had four removable tart tins (I bought mine from The Warehouse), so I used these mini foil cases I found at the good old $2 shop. These tarts are pear and apple.



Pear Tarts Recipe
Adapted from Little and Friday

On a lightly floured bench, roll out pastry to 3mm thick and line tart tins. Rest pastry cases in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes. place on a baking tray, as these drip a bit while baking.

Preheat oven to 180c. Spoon 3 tbsp Frangipane into each tart case. using a sharp paring knife, carefully slice the bottom off each pear so they sit flat. Keeping the tops intact, cut vertical slices from the stalk of each pear, making each slice a few millimetres apart.
Gently spread the pear slices apart to form a circular fan from the stalk. Place a pear fan on top of each tart, twisting slightly so slices extend to edges.
Bake for 30 minutes or until Frangipane is cooked. Make a honey glaze by melting manuka honey with a dash of boiling water. Using a pastry brush, paint glaze over pears while hot. Leave tarts to cool slighty before removing from tins. Serve with Mascarpone or Ice cream.


Frangipane Recipe
Little and Friday

  • 125g unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups ground almonds ( I used 3 small 70g pks)
  • 1 tbsp flour

Makes 2 cups.
Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stop the beater and scrape the sides of the bowl frequently to ensure ingredients are being thoroughly combined. Add eggs one at a time and beat well. Ensure first egg is well integrated before adding the next. Using a wooden spoon, stir in ground almonds and flour to form a paste.
Frangipane will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.


Little and Friday


2 comments:

  1. You're really tempting me with these posts. I have looked at this book several times and put it down again - I have literally hundreds of cookbooks. I justify it by saying I am a collector! But I do use them.

    Mmmmmm maybe if it comes on sale!

    Keep up these interesting posts!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am the same. I love buying cookbooks, I really recommend this one.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...